Saturday, July 11, 2009

Sharing Our Scars



I recently read a book called Your Scars Are Beautiful to God by Sharon Jaynes. It is through this book that God brought me immeasurable peace about all the bumps on my own journey. There have been quite a few, and sometimes it is easy to feel like you are alone in your suffering. It's easy to listen to that whisper in your ear from the enemy that you are the only one who knows this pain and make you feel embarrassed and ashamed of it. Sometimes I even wish I could hide my own scars from God, but that's impossible! And that's not why He allowed these experiences to happen.
Now I don't believe my God would ever cause horrible crimes to be committed, but I do believe God allows Satan to tempt us or throw us in the path of someone else he is tempting. But God knows our strengths and our weakness. He knows how much we can handle, and God wants us to turn to Him in our moments of pain and suffering. Just as in Job; God allowed Job to be tested by Satan but God had the power to stop it when He chose. And remember in the end , after losing everything Job still trusted and took comfort in the Lord? Then he was blessed above and beyond what he had lost!
I want to be like Job. Not that I want to lose everything I hold near and dear. I cherish my family and it would break my heart to lose them; though I like to think I would be strong and still take comfort in the Lord, trusting in Him to see me through. But I have my trials, much less then the loss of my family, that I have been very angry with God. Not that I completely lost my faith in Him, just that I couldn't wrap my mind around the 'why'. I was angry with God just as a child gets angry with his parents. And as a parent, I hate to see my children upset with me, it breaks my heart, but what I do is in love because I want only whats best for them. And it is the same way with God. I don't always understand why but I need to learn to constantly trust in my Heavenly Father. He only wants what is best for me.
With that said, I want to trust in the Lord that He will give me the strength to share my scars. I don't understand them all completely, but I know I want them to honor God. I believe by being open and honest; by taking off my mask, that I can also help others begin to take their own masks off. Our scars should not only be beautiful to God, but to each other as fellow believers. We make connections to one another through similar interests, hobbies, and just about anything we may have in common; but I think we tend to overlook the connections we can make through our past pain and grief. I think, especially as women, we hide these scars away ashamed of them. Just think of all the encouragement we could give to one another and all the new bonds we could form through the sharing of our scars! I know I find it so very comforting to hear about someone else who has gone through the same thing as I have because I can know they truly understand everything I am feeling as well as knowing I am not alone! Logically I realize I could not possibly be the only one to have been through any number of my scars, but emotionally I still feel alone until I am able to connect with someone who fully understands. Suddenly I find peace in knowing I am not alone, others understand and have been through it before me and came out victorious in Christ! And then I can hope to someday be that friend to someone else who is hurting and share with them my own scar so that maybe they will find the same peace in not feeling alone anymore! Through truly none of us are ever alone when we know the Lord. And praise God, He can make goodness come from anything!
I pray that you may always remember that and maybe someday you will be able to take your own mask off, share you scars and reap the blessings the Lord will bestow!


No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is
faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but
with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to
bear it.
1 Corinthians 10:13 (NKJV)

And we know that
all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the
called according to His purpose.
Romans 8:28 (NKJV)







No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing what you think about this!
Thank you so much for sharing!

Crystal